sorry for putting these up so late. I’ve been busy with school and the almaghrib class thats in town, Rays of Faith being taught by Shaykh Waleed (inshallah the notes from the class will be up soon!)
- Yusuf revealed his identity to his brother, Bin Yameen, so that he could assure him of his safety and rest any concerns that he has about him.
- Why did Yusuf want to keep Bin Yameen?
- Ulama have differed-
- Some say it was wahy from Allah
- some say Bin Yameen didnt want to return after seeing Yusuf after so long
- Others say that the brothers will still treating Bin Yameen poorly, being rude to them, etc.
- shaykh Yasir Qadhi said that the strongest one is that it was wahy since he was fully aware of the sadness that the loss of Bin Yameen would cause his father.
- The crier was not aware of the plan, meaning that the plot of Yusuf was not coordinated with the entire group of servants
- Permissible within the shariah to do tricks as long as no lying and cheating involved and there is nothing haram going on and the reason is good.
- these tricks or he’ala it is called in Arabic, they are allowed in the shariah and this is something that the Muslims have agreed upon as well, as long as the justification for it is correct and noble, obviously if the justification for it is haram or not allowed then obviously then the trick becomes haram and if the trick involves something that is haram then the trick itself is haram.
- They said ‘by Allah’ (TAllahi), Tallahi is one of the ways of giving an oath, ‘you know for a fact that we did not come to cause fasaad in the earth and neither are we thieves.’
- Very beautiful verse here, they didn’t steal, but they said ‘you know we didn’t come here to cause fitnah and fasaad.’’ In other words they have come here a number of times and all of those times their reputation has been established as being honest and trustworthy and upright people.
- the Prophet sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam said ‘Allah has cursed the thief, he steals a paltry sum and his right hand is cut off.’
- Why is the punishment so severe? Because he causes fasaad on the earth like this ayah mentions, stealing is a very evil crime, it causes people to panic and do things which they would otherwise not do.
- Allah raises the ranks of those that have eman and those that have knowledge amongst you.
•“If he steals, there was a brother of his [Yûsuf (Joseph)] who did steal before (him).”
- When did Yusuf steal?
- Scholars differ. Some say it was a pure lie. Others say that when Yusuf was young he used to steal the idol that his grandfather (maternal) worshipped and destroy it to stop the shirk. Either way, no real stealing
- The brothers of Yusuf alway refer to their father as ‘His (bin Yameen’s) father’–it is a sort of disrespect
- Which brother didnt return to Yaqoub? why?
- What was Yaqoub’s response to the sons after finding out that they returned without Bin Yameen
- Yaqoub has a very high level of optimism in Allah and a strong level of emaan. Which verse indicates this?
- How did the brothers repent?
- Verse 92 was the same statement as the Prophet (sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam) during the conquest of Makkah
- How did Yaqoub’s blindness get healed?
- Is making sijdah to people permissible in our deen? if not, why did Yusuf’s family make sijdah to him?
•“Indeed in their stories, there is a lesson for men of understanding. It (the Qur’an) is not a forged statement but a confirmation of the Allâh’s existing Books [the Taurât (Torah), the Injeel (Gospel) and other Scriptures of Allâh] and a detailed explanation of everything and a guide and a Mercy for the people who believe” Verse 111